||Though simple in their appearance, the
narrative sequential art form of comic books offers an
incredibly diverse range of content for all ages. Many do
not realize the history and scope of comic books:
- Forerunners of modern comic books were produced in
eighteenth-century Japan, though most regard comic books
as an American-born art form.
- US-produced comic books first gained popularity in
- Original and adapted comic books are also popular in
Asia and Europe.
- Comic books’ characters and subject matter have
evolved through the decades.
- Characters in comic books have been adapted for
television and movies.
- Comic books have had direct and indirect influence
on film directors like Robert Rodriguez and Quentin
- Comic books have “reverse-tech” influence, with
video games and player-vs.-player (PVP) games inspiring
- Comic books and graphic novels have garnered awards
as prestigious as the Pulitzer Prize, achieved by Art
Spiegelman’s Maus in 1992.*
Just as popular culture and readers’ preferences continue
to evolve, so too will comic books. This once-simple,
often-derided art form is at last gaining respect beyond its
core audience—which itself is growing. For all popular
genres and publishers of comic books, search and order
online from Westfield Comics.
Comic books have a loyal following. In fact, it’s a
following that has grown beyond fans of traditional comic
books to include enthusiasts of graphic novels and
character-related products. Whatever your level of interest,
Westfield Comics is your ideal source for comic books of all
genres and publishers plus accessories and action figures
for the true fan. Search our inventory and fill your pull
list of comic books by ordering online from Westfield
*Source: Pulitzer.Org [http://www.pulitzer.org/cgi-bin/year.pl?type=w&year=1992&FormsButton2=Retrieve]
Conditions of Sale |