KC Column: On the Road with Beau Smith

KC Carlson

KC Carlson


by KC Carlson

This is a little experiment I whipped up when I realized that Roger had scheduled me for two columns over the holidays, and I only had time to finish one before leaving on a week-long trip to Richmond, VA, to spend the holidays with Johanna’s family.

KC Carlson & Beau Smith

KC Carlson & Beau Smith


As I mentioned last week, I’ve driven between Richmond and Madison,WI, probably 50 times over the past twenty years, and at least half of those trips included having lunch with fellow Westfield columnist (and Real Man) Beau Smith. What was meant to be a one-hour break for lunch usually turned into a three-hour discussion, 85% about comics and the other 15% about hair — the sad fact that Beau is losing his, and how jealous he is of my out-of-control mess that grows about an inch a day.

Wynonna Earp

Wynonna Earp

 

Melanie Scrofano

Melanie Scrofano

 

Shamier Anderson

Shamier Anderson

 

Tim Rozon

Tim Rozon


The timing was great to do this as Beau had just gotten back from Calgary, and since I was going to ask him about the trip anyway, why not turn it into a podcast interview? Here, I’m talking to him about his creation Wynonna Earp. She’ll have her own SyFy channel TV show in the spring, and Beau talks about the inspiration for the concept, what the show is about, his trip to the Calgary filming location, his impressions of the cast, and the new comic series with Lora Innes (The Dreamer).

Central City Cafe

Central City Cafe


It was done live in a cafe in West Virginia, and the noise you hear in the background is a lot of people having a wonderful lunch. Our thanks to Central City Cafe in Huntington, WV, for providing the recording location and ambiance.

Beau Smith

Beau Smith


We had fun. If you liked it, please leave a comment below, and maybe we’ll do this again sometime.

 

 

Special thanks to Johanna Draper Carlson for technical expertise and editing!

KC CARLSON: Wondering how long the drive is from Madison to Calgary…

WESTFIELD COMICS is not responsible for the stupid things that KC says. Especially that thing that really irritated you. Cool way to get out of writing a column, huh?

USER COMMENTS

We'd love to hear from you, feel free to add to the discussion!